TEAM LEADER- GHANA
We are looking for a passionate individual to join our fantastic team in Ghana to act as Team Leader- someone who is seeking adventure, and looking to apply their vast array of skills to lead a team of passionate Ghanaians who are running a grassroots charity to reach their mission of achieving sustainability.
The Team Leader who will work closely with our local team to implement Create Change's strategic plan to help the organization achieve self-sufficiency by 2020. The Team Leader will work to build the team's capacity in both its charity programs and social enterprise departments.
We are currently looking for a Team Leader for a six month period to join our team in Ghana. The contract includes:
- Travel costs from Canada to our office in Northern Ghana and back
- Arranging and payment of a Ghana Visa
- A competitive Ghanian salary (enough to live without a care in the world while in country)
- A fantastic accommodation built to Canadian standards (see below)
- Weekly laundry and house cleaning services
- Transportation while in country
- Work related travel opportunities around Ghana and to Burkina Faso
- 4 weeks of paid vacation during the 6 month contract
ABOUT TAMALE, NORTHERN GHANA
Our head office in Ghana is located in Tamale, the North’s largest city and home to over 350,000 people. Made up principally of the Dagomba tribe, the population is comprised of people who are Christian, Muslim and Traditionalist, living together peacefully with a respect for each others’ faiths.
Tamale is reputed to be one of the fastest growing cities in West Africa. Although it is incredibly limited in natural resources, it serves as a convergence zone and is the capital of Ghana’s three northern regions: the Northern, Upper East and Upper West.
Seasonal subsistence farming is the main occupation, and, with only one rainy season per year and one chance to harvest, food security remains a constant issue for the 50% of people in Ghana’s Northern Region that live on less than $2 per day.
The people in Northern Ghana are very welcoming and friendly, receiving visitors with open arms. Despite the incredible hardship that the people in Northern Ghana face, they are generally a happy people who have a good sense of humour and enjoy socializing, celebrating, and meeting new people.
FIELD SCHOOL: YOUR AWESOME ACCOMMODATION
We are pleased to be able to offer our Team Leader fantastic accommodation at Field School, our volunteer centre we will be launching later this year. Field School was constructed to facilitate a new set of social relationships, relationships that foster capacity building and cross-cultural knowledge exchange as well as design research opportunities. It provides a permanent physical presence in the heart of the region Create Change is serving and will help to ensure the continuity of positive outcomes for the marginalized people it is ultimately intended to help.
Although Northern Ghana is among the safest regions in West Africa, all steps have been taken to ensure the safety of guests. The building itself sits within a gated compound with 24-hour security, proper exterior lighting and burglar-proof windows and doors. For the additional comfort of guests, all bedrooms are air-conditioned and feature en-suite bathrooms. Field School is connected to municipal water and electricity but also has a backup generator and large reserve water tank.
AN OVERVIEW OF OUR WORK
Charity programs include:
- Girls Education
- High school sponsorship
- Tertiary scholarship
- Leadership training
- Rural Community Development
- Primary school literacy
- Rural girls' advancement
- Rural community advocacy
Social Enterprises include:
- The Café
- Providing Ghanaian food to the middle class
- Provides culinary training to disadvantaged girls
- The Bakery
- Introducing baked goods to Ghana's north
- Provides baking training to disadvantaged girls
- Girls' Poultry Farm
- Offers disadvantaged girls training in poultry rearing and an opportunity to save for their tertiary education
- The Daycare
- Providing daycare services to middle class families
- Provides early childhood education training to disadvantaged girls
- The Design Company
- Supplies our online store www.nasara.ca with beautiful handmade products from West Africa to the North American market
Leadership -Train and lead a strong, healthy and inspired team. Provide capacity building and support to staff and partners.
Coordination and Supervision - Coordinate, manage and monitor the workings of various departments in the organization. Develop and maintain efficient and effective operating systems that ensure compliance.
Financial - Review financial statements and data. Utilize financial data to improve efficiency. Assist the Finance & Admin Department to prepare and control operational budgets, control inventory and recommend effective strategies for the financial well-being of the organization.
Best Practices - Improve processes and policies in support of organizational goals. Formulate and implement departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output. Monitor adherence to rules, regulations and procedures.
Human Resources – Working with the ED plan the use of human resources. Assist in recruitment, placement and training of required staff; establishment of organizational structure; delegation of tasks and accountabilities. Establish work schedules. Supervise staff. Monitor and evaluate performance in partnership with the ED.
Data Collection, Analysis & Impact Reporting – Ensure all departments are regularly measuring their social impact through data collection and analysis and regular impact reporting.
Curriculum Design & Implementation – Ensure staff are creating effective curriculum for both training and education related programs, and effectively implementing these curriculums.
Communication - Monitor, manage and improve the efficiency of support services such as IT, HR, Accounts and Finance. Facilitate coordination and communication between support functions.
Strategic Input - Liaise with the Board and Executive Director of Create Change Canada. Assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity. Implement and manage operational plans.
Risk Management - Oversee organizational policies in all areas of the organization.
- 3 to 5 years project management experience.
- Working knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management.
- Excellent program management skills.
- Outstanding writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent management, interpersonal, networking and facilitation skills.
- Natural coach and trainer, able to bring out the best in team players and build a cohesive team.
- Proactive, detail oriented and highly organized with an ability to multi-task.
- Financial management skills, including budget management.
- Experience developing marketing and sales plans and strategies will be considered an asset
- Solution-orientated positive personality.
- Experience working cross-culturally
If you think this rare, life-changing opportunity may be for you, please consider applying! Our closing deadline for this position is February 21st. We will be providing an extensive orientation in Vancouver (or via Skype if you live elsewhere) and are hoping that our Team Leader will be able to join us in Ghana in April or May, although we can be flexible for the right candidate! To apply simply send your CV and a statement of interest to email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as we can!